The UK eTA is a British electronic entry permit that acts as a visa waiver to grant eligible nationalities, such as Norwegians, the opportunity to visit the United Kingdom without the need to request an actual visa.
Nationals from Norway that intend to visit the UK have the opportunity to request this online travel authorization through an electronic platform since all the process is guided and completed only online.
How to Obtain an eTA to the UK as Norwegian
All Norwegian nationals who have intentions of visiting the UK for various travelling purposes such as tourism, business, studying, or medical reasons are required to request an electronic travel authorization before entering the country.
The UK eTA online application form can be completed by citizens of Norway from anywhere in the world and it only requires a working internet connection.
Here are some of the details Norwegian applicants must provide when applying for the UK eTA:
- Full name (as it appears on the passport)
- Date and place of birth
- Current address, phone number, and email address
- Marital status
- Passport number, date of issue and date of expiration
- Relevant health conditions
- Criminal history, if any
Once applicants have completed this information, they will be required to pay the UK visa waiver processing fee, which can be done by using a valid debit or credit card with sufficient funds to cover the expenses.
After applying, Norwegian nationals should receive via email their eTA to the United Kingdom within a timeframe of up to 4 days. To avoid any unforeseen circumstances it is advised that Norwegians start their application at least a week before the established date of arrival in the UK.
UK eTA for Norwegians: validity and use
Once approved, the UK eTA for citizens of Norway has a validity of up to 6 months, however, the time granted to stay will finally depend on immigration officials at airports and other ports of entry.
All visitors, including Norwegians, should keep in mind that this travel authorization is a single-entry permit, which means that if eTA holders leave the United Kingdom and then wish to re-enter UK territory, they must request a new travel permit.
Travellers from Norway must understand that the UK eTA is not the same as the UK EVW, which is meant only for 4 Middle Eastern countries.
Also, the electronic travel authorization to the UK is a visa waiver, not a British tourist visa, which is an important distinction that should be considered when applying online.
UK eTA Requirements & Conditions for Norway
When requesting an electronic travel authorization for the UK, citizens of Norway are required to abide by a series of UK eTA entry requirements that ensure applicants are fully eligible to obtain the travel document.
The following are the prerequisites that Norwegians must comply with:
- Having a current, biometric Norwegian passport
- Submitting a digital copy of the passport’s information page
- Presenting online a passport-type photograph of the Norwegian applicant
- Possessing a valid email address to receive information about the eTA to the UK
- Showing proof of travel and accommodation in the United Kingdom (hotel bookings, travel itinerary and return tickets)
- Owning a debit or credit card to pay the eTA’s processing fee
Other details that must be taken into account by nationals of Norway:
- The Norwegian passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival in the UK
- If the UK eTA is intended for children, the application must be completed by their parent or guardian
- The submitted picture must be digital, clear, and with a white-coloured background, while the Norwegian applicant’s face must be visible
- It is not necessary to present medical certificates (if any) unless the applicant presents a risk for national security or health safety
All the information provided by Norwegian citizens must be 100% truthful, complete and correct at the time of the submission.
Once visitors from Norway have met these conditions, they can begin to fill out the online eTA application form.
UK eTA Benefits for Norwegian Nationals
One of the main advantages of being eligible to obtain a visa waiver to the United Kingdom as Norwegian is that travellers will be guaranteed a fast application process that can be initiated from anywhere in the world and that permits passengers to enter smoothly in the nation using any of UK’s designated ports of access.
Also, visitors from Norway will be using a modern, electronic system that allows British authorities to have better control in their borders, which is always a great benefit when it comes to travel security and safety.
Finally, at the moment of arrival in the UK, Norwegian nationals will only need to have their valid passport and their previously approved eTA at hand.