British officials have created the UK eTA visa waiver for eligible nationals, a list that includes French travellers.
This permit will allow citizens from France to obtain an electronic authorization to enter the United Kingdom without visiting immigration offices.
The UK eTA is granted to those French nationals who wish to enter the country for various reasons such as tourism, business, medical treatments, and studies.
How to Obtain an eTA for the UK as French National
Citizens from France can obtain a visa waiver to the UK by starting a quick and easy United Kingdom’s eTA online application form that takes an average of 15 minutes to be completed.
This is some of the basic information that will be asked for during the application process:
- Name and last name
- Date and place of birth
- Current address, phone number, and email address
- Marital status
- Passport number
- Passport’s date of expiry
- Passport’s date of issuance
- Scanned copy of the passport’s biographical page
The abovementioned information must match the one on the French national’s passport.
Other questions might be included, especially the ones regarding the criminal history from travellers from France or the ones inviting to notify any serious health condition that might affect other passengers or citizens from the United Kingdom.
The next step is to pay the UK eTA processing fee, which can be done by French visitors with a credit card or debit card with enough funds to cover the associated expenses.
Then, a confirmation message will appear to indicate that nationals from France must wait until the request is processed.
Processing times for the UK eTA requested from France
On average, applicants from France will have to wait for a minimum of 72 hours for their eTA for the UK to be approved.
Some applications may take more than usual to be approved if the application has mistakes, therefore, French applicants must revise the data in detail.
Once the application has been processed and approved, it will be sent to the French applicant’s email address.
Conditions to Enter the UK With an eTA as French
There are certain UK eTA’s entry requirements that need to be met by French travellers. The following are the prerequisites that allow obtaining a visa waiver:
- A valid French passport, which must be biometric and current for at least 6 months from the intended date of entry to the UK
- A scanned, clear copy of the biographical page of the passport
- A passport-type photograph of the French applicant. The picture must have a white background, while the traveller must be centred, with a neutral facial expression and without accessories
- An active email address where all the communications and eTA status will be notified
- Proof of travel and accommodation (contact details of a hotel or relatives and onward ticket out of the country)
No further information about medical records must be provided by visitors from France.
If the application for the UK eTA is for a child under the age of 18, it must be completed by a parent or legal guardian.
Entering the UK From France: Trip Advice
French visitors who desire to enter the UK must carry both their passports and their approved visa waiver.
Once arrived at any port of entry in the UK, visitors are guaranteed to have a smooth and fast entry, avoiding immigration queues and speeding up document check with border patrols.
Ports of entry in the UK for French citizens
The UK has several ports of entry that offer access to French nationals, covering from airports to seaports.
The most transited airports are the London Heathrow Airport, Gatwick Airport, and Manchester Airport. In regards to the most transited seaports, the Port of Dover, the Port of Portsmouth, and the Port of Holyhead can be highlighted.
UK visas available for France
There are French nationals who will need a visa, instead of a visa waiver, to meet their travel purposes. In those cases, they are provided with different visa options to the United Kingdom:
- Business affairs. Visiting the United Kingdom can also include commercial reasons, and that is why professionals from France have the option of applying for a business UK visa
- Leisure. This is the most common reason to obtain a UK tourist visa as a French passport holder
- Study purposes. Coming to the UK to complete academic courses is also a popular option amongst French students. For these cases, there is a student visa to the United Kingdom available
- Medical treatments. Although less commonly used, there are UK visas for medical procedures that can be accessed by nationals of France
It is worth noting that the eTA to the UK can also be used for the reasons stated above. However, passengers from France must respect the restrictions of this visa waiver (maximum stay of 6 months, for instance).
Note: the requirements for a visa to the United Kingdom are different from the ones of a visa waiver, so French visitors must inform themselves about the specifics of each travel permit.